Sunday 31st August 2025

China has banned pork imports from Germany following the country’s first confirmed case of African swine fever last week.  Germany is China’s third largest pork supplier and accounts for about 14 percent of the China’s imports so far this year.  The move will likely boost demand for meat from other major supplies like the US and Spain and could provide some much-needed price support to US hog prices. 

Germany has confirmed the ban, but the country’s Food and Ag Ministry says it remains in talks with the Chinese government on the matter. 

China says it will destroy or return all the German pork shipments that started after September 11 and strengthen quarantine for deliveries that began before the date.  South Korea and Japan also have banned German pork imports.

    

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*